The WBHS counseling office provides various services to the student population. As we state in our mission, we carry a student-centered approach to counseling. This means we want to account for you, the individual, during every meeting, workshop or session we have. As an office we provide individual sessions for academic, personal/social and career counseling.
APPLY TO COLLEGE WEEK/DAY
In November senior students and parents should be aware that WBHS will designate at certain week as “Apply to College Week”. During this week there will activities and presentations that directly correspond to senior students applying to colleges. Also, parents and underclassmen will be able to attend presentations and experience the excitement that ensues. There will be a designated day(s), AKA “Apply to College Day”, for seniors to sign-up for so that counselors and other administrators can assist them will completing their college applications in the media center. Look out for more info to come on the specific dates!
- APPLY TO COLLEGE WEEK – November 12-16th, 2018
- APPLY TO COLLEGE DAYS – November 15-16th, 2018
COLLEGE ESSENTIALS NIGHT
This year the counseling office will host an combination event with two presentation sessions. Junior and Senior students/parents/guardians are targeted to attend this event.
- Part I – ACT/SAT Info – targets students who have not taken the ACT/SAT college entrance exams, or students who would like to have more information about these two exams. A representative from C2 Education will lead this session to provide quality information in a timely manner and there is typically time for participants to ask a few questions of our expert guest speakers.
- Part II – Financial Aid – targets seniors/juniors specifically as detailed information is covered regarding the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form, as well as information about the HOPE Scholarship Program and other scholarships. This session will be a lead by a Georgia Student Finance Commission (GFSC) expert. Again, it will provide quality information in a timely manner and there is typically time for participants to ask a few questions of our expert guest speakers.
- Part III – College Goal Georgia – College Goal Georgia (CGG), part of the national College Goal Sunday initiative, is sponsored by the GFSC. It’s a FREE event where volunteers will help student/families who need assistance in completing their FAFSA. The federal government requires a FAFSA from all students seeking financial aid to pay for college, such as the Pell Grant and federal student loans.
College Essentials Night – December TBD, 2017 at 5:30-7:30pm in the cafeteria at WBHS
New this year, the counseling office will issue out Dogg Byte videos to be viewed during advisement. The videos will be uploaded to the WBHS Counseling Office YouTube account, but they will also be placed on our website for easy access if you miss it or need to review the information. The Dogg Byte videos can be accessed directly by scrolling over the “Our Services” tab and clicking the link beneath to the appropriately titled page.
FINANCIAL AID INFO NIGHT
Please see “College Essentials Night”
FRESHMEN ORIENTATION & OPEN HOUSE
In July we host our annual Freshmen Orientation. This event serves as a great introduction for our freshmen students to Winder-Barrow High School. During this event students will meet classmates from other county middle schools who will attend WBHS, and they will interact with upperclassmen. Those upperclassmen will lead freshmen students through a group experience of tours, games and breakout discussion sessions.
- 5th Annual Freshmen Orientation- July 26th, 2018 from 8:30-11am
GA BRIDGE Law Lessons
- 1st Semester – November 2-8th & November 27-28th
- 2nd Semester – January 29-February 2nd & February 12th
AKA “Parent Nights”, the counseling office will host various Info Nights throughout the course of the school year. Typically, there will be a target audience for the evening presentations. Speakers will range from counselors, administrators, college representatives, educational organizations, former Barrow Co. students and more. The Info Nights will be posted and advertised in a variety of platforms, such as: WBHS Facebook Page, WBHS Twitter Feed, WBHS Website (google calendar), WBHS Counseling Website, parentlink calls, afternoon report, advisement, the school marquee and in some cases flyers. So be on the look out for upcoming Info Nights that pertain to you!
JUNIOR “GG” MEETINGS
Starting in the fall, counselors will begin the process for scheduling and meeting with students on their Junior “GG” Meeting. This meeting is designed for ALL junior students to meet with their counselors to establish their “Graduation Goals”. During the meeting counselors plan to address post-secondary plans, testing, graduation goals, and other important senior information. Parents are invited to attend; however, meetings will be held at the designated 20 minute time frame regardless if parents, or students, are able to attend. If a parent cannot attend, students will be given meeting notes to take home.
Student’s will be given a postcard notice on when their individual meeting has been scheduled. Students will be responsible for taking measures to remember the time and date, as students will NOT be called out of class to attend the meetings. However, should they forget their time/date they can come see their counselor in advance.
PHASE I – October 2018
PHASE II – March 2019
NATIONAL COLLEGE SIGNING DAY
A lot of media attention goes to promising athletes when they select the college of their choice. We wanted every student to receive as much attention and have that same feeling of importance so that they too can feel special about this big day. National College Signing Day is an initiative from the White House as part of the Reach Higher Campaign. The purpose of the day is to celebrate senior decisions to attend college (2 year or 4 year) and to show students our support of their choice to pursue higher education. During lunches, we set up outside on the cafeteria patio with a banner for students to sign their name with the college they plan to attend, balloons, cookies, and fun music. Seniors are encouraged to wear a shirt from the college they plan to attend or their new school colors. We plan to hang the banner in school for the remainder of the year, then give the banner to the senior class president for her to keep until the class’ reunion.
- Nat’l College Signing Day – May TBD, 2019 at 10:15am-1:15pm on the cafeteria patio
PROBE COLLEGE FAIR
During the fall semester school counselors from WBHS and Apalachee High School help coordinate the PROBE College Fair. Typically there are close to +70 colleges, universities, technical school and military options on site. Senior and Junior students are able to walk through an “expo” type setting to gather information and ask questions from admissions representatives. Look out for announcements in August as the events may require bus permission forms to be signed.
- Barrow County PROBE Fair – October 2nd, 2018 at 8:00-10:30am in the cafeteria at WBHS
Please see “College Essentials Night”