Dual enrollment is a program for students in grades 9-12 who qualify to participate. Students may enroll on a part-time or full-time basis as a DE student and take college courses. Students will receive high school and college credit simultaneously when attending and passing approved college classes. DE has been reinstated as the title for the program once referred to as “Move On When Ready”. The DE program now covers tuition, mandatory fees and required textbooks.
There are several benefits for students who participate in Dual Enrollment.
- Introduces students to college-level coursework.
- Earning college credits while still in high school may enable students to graduate early and/or possibly even earn an associate degree, diploma or certificate.
- Helps students adjust to certain aspects of the college experience (e.g., classes, coursework, instruction, being on a college campus) so the transition from high school to college may be easier.
- Students who participate in a dual enrollment program are more likely to go to college and get a college degree.
- Students may be able to take classes that are not offered at their high school, especially in subject areas they are interested in for a potential career.
- Participating in a dual enrollment program demonstrates a student’s ability to handle more difficult coursework which is something college admissions officers may look upon favorably during admissions and recruiting.
- Taking college-level classes while still in high school may build confidence and encourage those students who may not be thinking about college to reconsider.
* Info pulled directly from http://www.gadoe.org/Curriculum-Instruction-and-Assessment/CTAE/Pages/Transition-Career-Partnerships.aspx on 9/26/16 and ** from http://www.barrow.k12.ga.us/move-on-when-ready.html on 9/26/16
2018 Dual Enrollment Video
2017 Move On When Ready Video
Dual Enrollment Important Links
Please see the attached document for details on the Dual Enrollment process here in Barrow County.
The Technical College System of Georgia has approved new criteria for admissions taking place beginning fall 2018 that can help students enroll into diploma and degree level coursework bypassing placement tests as long as they have completed the 10th grade. The new criteria is for 11th and 12th grade students who meet one of these options:
- HOPE GPA of calculation of a 2.6 or higher after 10th grade
- PSAT scores (taken after March 2016) that meet the required cut scores per attached
TCSG will continue to use the current placement test scores for SAT, ACT, and Accuplacer for 9th and 10th graders and any 11th and 12th graders who prefer this admissions method. To utilize this HOPE calculation, TCSG’s will need the high schools to provide this HOPE GPA on a transcript or other document for us to use. Any students that have applied in the past and would like to be considered for admissions with the new criteria will need to submit new/current transcripts showing they meet the new requirement.
Here is the link to more information from the GA DOE site: http://www.gadoe.org/Curriculum-Instruction-and-Assessment/CTAE/Pages/Transition-Career-Partnerships.aspx
Here is the link to more information from the GAfutures site: https://www.gafutures.org/hope-state-aid-programs/scholarships-grants/move-on-when-ready/
Also, through GAfutures find the approved courses at the school you are interested in by visiting this link: https://apps.gsfc.org/SecureNextGen/dsp_accel_course_listings.cfm
Here is the link to more direct information on the technical college options for DE: https://
Here is the link to more direct information on the university systems of Georgia options for DE: https://www.usg.edu/student_affairs/prospective_students/opportunities.
Click HERE to go directly to USG school’s admissions requirements for DE programs.
Check out this link to ATC’s information: http://www.athenstech.edu/studentAffairs/admissions/highSchoolRelations/dual_enrollment_technical.cfm
Check out this link to GGC’s information: http://www.ggc.edu/admissions/admissions-requirements/dual-enrollment/index.html
Check out this link to GTC’s information: http://www.gwinnetttech.edu/dualenrollment/
Check out this link to LTC’s information: https://www.laniertech.edu/dualenroll/main.aspx
Here’s info on the Accuplacer exam for LTC enrollment: Accuplacer Placement Test Scores for LTC MOWR
Check out this link to UNG’s information: https://ung.edu/undergraduate-admissions/dual-joint-enrollment.php