August 8 – 12th, 2016
Counseling Office –
Mary Boykin (Freshmen) Cory Peppers (A-Har 10-12th)
Danielle Hubbard (Has-Pa 10-12th) Dr. Christina Lowe (Pe-Z 10-12th)
Liz Long (College & Career) Lori McElroy (Registrar)
Gwen Tilley (Secretary & Records)
Seniors, stay connected
- Counseling Website – bit.ly/wbhscounseling – “Make an Appointment” button
- Counseling Office Remind 101 – text “@wbcounsel” to 81010
- WBHS Facebook – fb.me/wbhsdoggs
- WBHS Twitter – @TweetDoggs
Credit awareness – Ultimately it’s your job to graduate!
- New Graduation requirements:
- 24 units = Diploma
- 28 units = Diploma with Distinction (seal)
- 32 units = Diploma with Highest Distinction (seal & graduation cord)
- If you have failed something (Academic, Pathway) make sure you are retaking it or signed up for Pearson GradPoint after-school to make it up
- Do you need a Foreign Language? 2.0 units of the same foreign/modern language is required for any students considering a college or university setting after high school.
- Also, Foothills now offers credit recovery ($150.00 per credit)
Testing – Know your dates and register
- ACT/SAT Dates are coming up (SAT/ACT HANDOUT)
- ASVAB – TBD – Students can sign-up/register in CRC
- COMPASS – TBD – Register/Apply to Lanier Tech
If you receive Free/Reduced Lunch you can speak with Mrs. Long about SAT/ACT fee waivers – 2 ACT, 2 SAT
GAFutures (https://www.gafutures.org/) – Great resource for career, college, testing, HOPE GPA, and scholarships info
- Replaced GACollege411.org
- GA based Colleges/Universities/Technical Schools applications
- We’re still learning it as counselors for this year
Applying to Schools – Check your school’s information, know the requirements needed, and know your deadlines
- You can apply without having or sending your ACT/SAT scores and transcripts
- BigFuture (https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/)is a great resource!
If you receive Free/Reduced Lunch you can speak with Mrs. Long about Application fee waivers – 4 during your senior year
Recommendation Letters – Teachers and/or counselors. Make us aware that you’re applying.
- No Senior Brag Sheet or Student Evaluation are required if the school does not request a counselor recommendation. A Student Evaluation does not equal Teacher Recommendation.
- Thoroughly answer all sections of the Brag Sheet. No abbreviations. Be specific.
- If you complete an online application (i.e., Common App) we still a Brag Sheet and notification you have applied online.
- It’s your responsibility to know your deadline and turn in the completed packet two weeks prior.
Scholarships and Financial Aid –
- WBHS Counseling Webpage
- WBHS Webpage under “Students” tab
- Email Blast w/Mrs. Long
- Outside Board of CRC.
Also, creating online profiles with various sites/apps – ALL INDIVIDUALLY BASED
LOOK OUT FOR:
- College PROBE Fair – September 14th @ WBHS, cafeteria
- Resume Workshop – September 23rd during advisement, sign-up during September & Ask a Counselor Weds.
- College Essentials Night (ACT/SAT & FASFA) – October 25th 6-8pm
- Apply to College Week – November 14-19th
- Apply to College Days – November 18-19th
- 1st Generation College Group – Sign-UP!
Do you have a plan? If not, schedule a meeting with your counselor to discuss your options.