With the new year just around the corner, I have had multiple requests for good resources for folks that are just getting started with integrating STEAM into their regular practice.  Keep in mind that in many ways STEM/STEAM is simply a reboot of numerous best practices that have been packaged together in hopes of boosting student engagement.

What I like best about our current STEAM emphasis in Barrow County is our goal for teachers to not only integrate the Teaching of the Arts, but to also embrace the Art of their Teaching.  Too much of educational reform lately has been focused on data analysis, standardized testing, and other systematic elements of the Science of Teaching.  It is time to recalibrate the system and reconnect to the heart, the imagination, and the joy of teaching and learning.

So back to good places to start your journey into STEAM…

Here is a hyperlinked list of some of the key components of a STEAM-integrated learning environment.

1. Project or Problem- Based Learning (PBL)

2. The 4 C’s of 21st Century Skills

3. The Engineering Design Process

4. Scientific and Engineering Practices

5. Standards of Mathematical Practice

6. Arts Integration

7. Technology Integration

8. Live interactive connections with outside experts and environments.*

* If you have a unit, lesson, or concept to which you would like to add a live interaction, please contact me, and I can help set something up through my network of STEAMmates.